PIZZA WITH POLICE EVENT RAISES $2500

Posted in alaojwmw on November 16th, 2019

first_imgA total of $2500 was raised last month for the Friends of the Sioux City Police Department at a “Pizza With Police” event on May 11th at Leif Erickson Park.The event raised funds to send local officers to funerals of law enforcement members who have lost their lives in the line of duty.Larry Finley, President of the Friends of the Sioux City Police Department, presented KSCJ Open Line Host Charlie Stone with a plaque to thank Powell Broadcasting for its support:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/PLAQUE1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………for our police department. :18The event was part of National law Enforcement Week.Brew Pub Lotzza Mottza Pizza and Hy-Vee Food Stores also received thanks for their participation in the event.last_img read more

a month agoInter Milan coach Conte tells derby hero Lukaku: You can do more

Posted in hawtgbjn on October 28th, 2019

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Inter Milan coach Conte tells derby hero Lukaku: You can do moreby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveInter Milan coach Antonio Conte says his players are responding to his methods after victory over AC Milan.Marcelo Brozovic’s deflected shot opened the scoring and Romelu Lukaku nodded in a Nicolò Barella cross for his third goal in four Serie A games.“Let’s start by saying it’s a derby and those are always special games, never easy to predict, especially when both teams are so prestigious as Inter and Milan,” Conte told DAZN.“The lads played a good game in every aspect. We were coming off a performance in the Champions League that left a bitter taste in the mouth and perhaps that fired us up even more to go into the derby in the right way.“It’s a deserved victory, I am happy for our fans, because the derby is always the derby.”Lukaku scored his third goal in four Serie A games and praised Conte in his post-match interview, but the Coach expects more.“He can give much more, certainly. I told him that too. He is 26 years old and arrived here thanks to his potential. If we work with him properly, he can become extremely important.“Lautaro Martinez is only 22 years old, so we need to help mould and improve these players with daily work. That’s my job and the important thing is that they are ready to work with me to improve themselves, which they are.“I am happy with our Serie A start, less so in the Champions League, but I do also believe that setback can help bring us back on to the right path.” last_img read more

How did the TIFF crowd respond to controversial film The Birth of

Posted in fofabvlic on October 15th, 2019

first_imgAdvertisement Advertisement Facebook Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment center_img Login/Register With: ‘A beautiful place with a painful history.” That is how Cameron Bailey, artistic director of the Toronto International Film Festival, described the city’s Winter Garden theatre on Friday night, alluding to it once being the home to minstrel shows. But Bailey could have also been talking about the film that was just about to enjoy its international premiere, Nate Parker’s controversial The Birth of a Nation. Because while the drama contains some beautiful images that sear themselves in your brain, it, too, carries with it a complicated past.Parker is the director, writer and star behind the film, which tells the story of Nat Turner, a preacher and slave who led a violent revolt against white slave owners in 1830s Virginia. When the film premiered at Sundance earlier this winter, it was praised as the next possible Oscar winner – a diverse drama that would pull a traditionally diverse-averse Hollywood into the 21st century. But Parker is also making headlines due to the resurfacing of an old court case against him.In 1999, Parker and his Penn State roommate (and Nation co-writer) Jean Celestin were charged with sexually assaulting a fellow female student. Parker was acquitted, though Celestin was found guilty (but appealed, and had the verdict thrown out after the woman refused to testify at a second trial). It was also revealed that the woman killed herself years after the incident. Twitterlast_img read more

Boeing wont end dispute with Bombardier despite Liberal plan to buy used

Posted in alaojwmw on October 13th, 2019

first_imgOTTAWA – Boeing has weighed in on the Trudeau government’s plan to buy second-hand fighter jets from Australia, saying it respects the decision but has no intention of abandoning its trade dispute with Canadian rival Bombardier.The U.S. aerospace giant was primed to sell 18 of its Super Hornet fighters at an estimated cost of $6 billion to temporarily augment Canada’s fleet of aging CF-18s until they can be replaced.But the Liberals are scrapping that plan over Boeing’s fight with Bombardier and will announce next week its plan to buy used F-18s from Australia — despite having previously expressed reservations about buying old jets.Boeing, noticeably silent in recent weeks as talk of the Australian fighters heated up in Ottawa, finally broke its silence Friday in a carefully worded statement.Citing media reports that the government would choose the used jets, Boeing said it “respects the Canadian government’s decision” and will continue to look for ways to work with Canada.“Although we will not have the opportunity to grow our supply base, industrial partnerships and jobs in Canada the way we would if Canada purchased new Super Hornets,” the company said, “we will continue to look to find productive ways to work together in the future.”But Boeing also made clear that it had no intention of dropping its dispute with Montreal-based Bombardier, which it accuses of having broken trade rules when it sold dozens of C-Series passenger planes to a U.S. airline.“Our commitment to creating a level playing field in aerospace remains,” Boeing said. “We will continue to support all efforts to build an environment of free and fair competition marked by compliance with agreed-upon rules.”The Liberals said in November 2016 that they would buy 18 “interim” Super Hornets to fill a critical shortage of fighter jets until a full competition to replace the entire CF-18 fleet could be held.The government said at the time that the Super Hornet was the only aircraft able to meet its immediate needs and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan rejected suggestions Canada buy second-hand aircraft instead.“Yes, there were options for buying old ones,” Sajjan told the House of Commons on May 29. “No, we do not want to buy used equipment; we want to invest in new planes.”But that was before Boeing complained to the U.S. Commerce Department that Bombardier had sold its C-Series jet liners to Delta Airlines at an “absurdly” low price with assistance from federal government subsidies.Commerce officials have proposed a 300 per cent duty on all C-Series planes imported into the U.S., though the penalties won’t be official pending a separate ruling on whether Bombardier hurt Boeing’s business.European aerospace giant Airbus has since proposed to buy a majority stake in Bombardier’s C-Series commercial planes, in the hopes that it can skirt any duties by building C-Series planes for U.S. customers at its plant in Alabama.— Follow @leeberthiaume on TwitterNote to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version said Airbus was based in Paris.last_img read more

Brazil Judge suspends BoeingEmbraer deal for second time

Posted in hedadxww on October 13th, 2019

first_imgRIO DE JANEIRO — A Brazilian judge has for the second time in a month stalled a US$5.26 billion deal between airplane manufacturers Boeing and Embraer.The temporary injunction issued Wednesday by Judge Victorio Giuzio Neto comes three days after the companies agreed to terms. A superior court overruled a similar decision by Neto only 10 days earlier.Boeing is to receive 80 per cent of the joint venture and Embraer the remaining 20 per cent. The subsidiary is expected to take on all of Embraer’s commercial aviation activities.Neto’s ruling follows a petition by labour unions.The agreement between the two companies is championed by Embraer as necessary to keep the company competitive.Workers organizations say that the joint-venture is, in fact, a sale and will move most of the business to the U.S.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Severe Thunderstorm warning issued for the South Peace

Posted in kvziqmgj on October 13th, 2019

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. – A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for the South Peace.The warning says there is a severe thunderstorm near Bearhole Lake Provincial Park, south of Tumbler Ridge.The storm will impact the Bearhole Lake Provincial Park and areas nearby along Highway 52 northward to the Kelly Lake Road junction. See the full warning below.6:24 PM PDT Sunday 21 July 2019Severe thunderstorm warning in effect for:B.C. South Peace RiverAt 6:24 p.m. MST, Environment Canada meteorologists are tracking a severe thunderstorm capable of producing very strong wind gusts, up to nickel size hail and heavy rain.The severe thunderstorm is located near the Bearhole Lake Provincial Park and is moving northward 35 km/h.The storm will impact the Bearhole Lake Provincial Park and areas nearby along Highway 52 northward to the Kelly Lake Road junction.Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors! Severe thunderstorm warnings are issued when imminent or occurring thunderstorms are likely to produce or are producing one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.last_img read more

TMC helped BJP to gain ground in Bengal not CPIM Yechury

Posted in bacbbpks on October 12th, 2019

first_imgKolkata: CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury has refuted claims that it was helping the BJP get a foothold in Bengal, and asserted the Left will come out with “surprising results” in the Lok Sabha polls. He said it was the Trinamool Congress which had facilitated the BJP-RSS to gain ground in the state. “It is a blatant lie that CPI(M) workers are helping the BJP. It is a canard spread by the saffron party and the TMC. They are trying to create a narrative that in Bengal, the fight is between the BJP and the Trinamool. This is completely wrong. “I can assure you that the Left will come out with surprising results. Our performance will be like (football legend) Lionel Messi scoring a goal dribbling past his opponents,” Yechury said in an interview to a Bengali news channel on Thursday. The senior CPI(M) leader’s comments come in the backdrop of allegations by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee that the Left was working towards transfer of its vote share to the BJP in the fight against the TMC. The Left Front would get the support of the young generation in the polls, he said. “The TMC had forged an alliance with the BJP in 1998. In Bengal, after coming to power, the TMC ensured that secular forces are cornered in order to make space for the BJP,” Yechury said. He also said that if the people are allowed to vote freely and fairly, they would cast their ballots in favour of the Left.last_img read more

Analysis Ohio State cannot afford to lose rivalry game to Michigan

Posted in hedadxww on September 28th, 2019

Ohio State redshirt senior quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) calls out a play in the Ohio State-Maryland game on Oct. 7. Ohio State won 62-14. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorRedshirt senior linebacker Chris Worley equates Ohio State’s game against Michigan to laws. “You don’t break that law,” he said. “You better beat The Team Up North.”Since Worley arrived on campus for his first season, he has abided by that law. The Buckeyes have defeated the Wolverines the last five seasons, and Ohio State opened as 13-point favorites to extend the streak to six victories.Having knocked off Michigan State 48-3 two weeks ago and Illinois 52-14 last weekend, No. 9 Ohio State enters Saturday’s game with hefty momentum. No. 24 Michigan, on the other hand, limps into the matchup coming off a 24-10 loss to No. 5 Wisconsin. The Wolverines also lost to the Spartans and Penn State earlier in the season, both teams Ohio State defeated.The Buckeyes hold many advantages, enough to quell most concerns about the matchup. Yet, due to Ohio State’s turbulent two-loss season, pressure on the Buckeyes to win has not dipped, and might have intensified. There’s never an optimal time to lose to a rival. Urban Meyer hasn’t lost to Michigan as Ohio State’s head coach, but this would be especially poor timing for his first.With losses to Oklahoma and Iowa, the Buckeyes already sit in uncharted territory. No two-loss team has made the College Football Playoff since its inception in 2014. Just two weeks ago after a 55-24 loss to Iowa, Ohio State’s playoff hopes seemed dashed. But now it seems increasingly likely that if the Buckeyes defeat Michigan and take down Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship, they will earn a playoff berth.Much remains on the line for Ohio State beyond just postseason action.The veteran-laden roster contains 19 seniors, including quarterback J.T. Barrett, who will look to become the first signal-caller to win the matchup in four straight seasons. Last year, the Buckeyes made the playoff in spite of their youth and inexperience, which showed up in the 31-0 loss to Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl.This season, Ohio State was supposed to take advantage of seniors such as Barrett, center Billy Price, defensive end Tyquan Lewis and left tackle Jamarco Jones pairing with a talented crop of underclassmen, including running backs Mike Weber and J.K. Dobbins, defensive end Nick Bosa, defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones and others. But the Buckeyes have not reached their potential this season. Ohio State always expects to win every game, but a loss to Oklahoma was far from the end of the world. Meyer’s team overcame a loss to Penn State the prior season and made the playoff. But a loss to Iowa, a clearly inferior group? That sent shockwaves through a fan base that expects nothing less than a playoff appearance.Imagine the reaction if Ohio State lost to Michigan. Sure, the Wolverines have not taken down the Buckeyes since 2011 and have defeated their rivals just once in the last 13 matchups, but fans live in the present. A three-loss regular season would send Ohio State to the Big Ten championship without playoff hopes and a lesser bowl appearance could bring out the worst in the fan base.It might not get better for the Buckeyes next season.A new quarterback combined with an exodus of talent on both the offensive and defensive lines leads to a question-filled 2018 Ohio State season. Michigan, on the other hand, will return a majority of its starters and will pose a much greater threat to next year’s youthful Buckeyes.Barrett’s legacy also relies on the game. He can either make history with a fourth win, or will lose his third game of the season. Of course, the hate he would get would not be fair. Not a single quarterback on either side has beaten his opponent in the game four times. But Barrett would be viewed as someone who continually can’t win big games.He knows he will not be welcomed with grace in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but said he embraces the negative reaction. “I don’t think it’s going to be pleasant, I’m pretty sure they’re going to hate me,” Barrett said. “Got to learn to love the hate. I like being hated sometimes. I don’t mind it. They hate us anyway.”Meyer said the history of the game has showed both teams play their best against each other. Though Michigan has yet to win a game against a team with a winning record, Meyer expects the Wolverines to offer staunch opposition.Ohio State seemed to lose its playoff hopes after the loss to Iowa. But reclaiming them only to lose to a lesser Michigan team would be a worst-case scenario for the Buckeyes. read more

Marcelo on Super Cup defeat Atletico made fewer mistakes and deserved

Posted in rbiazxks on September 18th, 2019

first_imgReal Madrid defender Marcelo admitted that they “failed” by committing too many errors in their 4-2 defeat to Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup finalFollowing Diego Costa’s sensational opener for the Europa League champions, goals from Karim Benzema and captain Sergio Ramos had put Real in front with a 2-1 lead at Estonia.However, Costa found the back of the net again for Atletico eleven minutes from the final whistle to put the game into extra-time.Saul Niguez and Koke then scored to hand Atletico a deserved win over their city rivals for the first time in a final.“Football is like that. The winners are those who make fewer mistakes. Tonight, Tonight, we failed and we don’t want to make those errors again because it cost us a final,” said Marcelo on the club website.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“They made fewer mistakes and deserved to win it. These are mistakes resulting from fatigue, from not much training. Many players have been late back due to the World Cup, but that is no excuse.”“We played well and we had the ball for almost the whole game. It is tough to start by conceding a goal at the start and after that we failed in two attempts that almost never fail.“That cost us the tie. In extra time we tried our best, but we were battle worn and I think that slowed us down quite a bit.”Real will face Getafe on Sunday for their first game of the new La Liga season.last_img read more

Jack Grealish I thought I was going to join Spurs

Posted in mzibuqwe on September 18th, 2019

first_imgAston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish was “95%” certain that he would be signing up for Tottenham Hotspur in the last transfer windowAfter a breakthrough campaign in the English Championship last season, Grealish had been strongly linked with a move to Spurs due to Villa’s financial struggles.But a move didn’t materialise with Grealish later agreeing on a new long-term contract at Villa Park instead.“At Hull, I was 95% sure it was going to be my last game. I waved to the fans when I got taken off as I thought I was going,” Grealish told The Telegraph.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“Even on the Thursday morning of the transfer window, I thought I was leaving At that time it could have got done, but for whatever reason, it didn’t.“They (Spurs) weren’t willing to pay what Villa wanted at the time, but the new owners came in and they changed everything.”Grealish has started in all nine of Villa’s Championship games this season with Steve Bruce’s side currently in 13th-place in the standings.last_img read more